Before the weather totally sets its mind on fall, it might be time to sneak in a final summery recipe. Here’s a tasty one that we’ve made a few times. The original recipe calls for bass and green tomatoes, but we used salmon and yellow tomaters since that’s what we had on hand.
Grilled Salmon with Tomato Watermelon Salsa
- 1 1/2 cups finely chopped green tomatoes (1/2 lb)
- 1 1/2 cups finely chopped red watermelon
- 2/3 cup minced red onion
- 1 (2 1/2- to 3-inch) fresh red or green chile such as Thai or serrano, minced (including seeds)
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 teaspoon fresh lime juice
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 6 (6-oz) center-cut pieces salmon (or striped bass or mahi mahi) fillet with skin (1 inch thick)
- 1 1/2 tablespoons olive oil
Get your grill or grill pan heated up.
Toss together tomatoes, watermelon, onion, chile, cilantro, lime juice, and salt. (Do not make salsa more than 1 hour ahead or it will become watery.)
Pat fish dry, then brush with oil and season with salt. Grill fish, starting with skin sides down, on lightly oiled grill, turning over once until just cooked through, 8 to 9 minutes total.
Serve fish topped with salsa. Easy!
Serves 6. Adapted from Gourmet