It’s the last day of the year, the last year in this decade. In just a few short hours, we’ll be journeying into the twenty-tens with a year of accomplishments at our backs and a world of possibility before us… But let’s leave the poignant reflecting to the saps! We’ve got some partying to do! And I can’t think of a better way to celebrate than with a dash of irreverent humor and a dollop of good ole fashioned consumerism! Whether you’re crashing a hot house party or bellying up to the bar, Brian and Sarah (with help from the Shopping Sherpa, of course) have got the goods to keep you classy, sassy and sauced for the new year.
1. I know all you professionals out there have your fancy smart phones and your electronic calendars, but here in the Westervin household we still like to do a few things the old fashioned way — with pen and paper! Make a real mark, people! One that requires more muscle movement than a faster-than-the-speed-of-light thumb dance atop your keypad or touchscreen. What better way to start 2010 than with a handmade, beautifully illustrated wall calendar, like this one from PAWLING Print Studio for only $10? Answer me that.
2. If you’re boozing it up tonight, don’t let the hangover monster devour you in the morning. Stay hydrated with this reusable glass water bottle ($32.99) from Perpetual kid. Mother earth AND your stomach will thank you.
3. Leave the brown paper bag at the liquor store and carry your wine in style with this industrial felt wine tote ($29) from the Curiosity Shoppe.
4. Ooooooh sparkles! Get glitzy with this stunner of a headband ($38) from Old Soul, New Heart.
5. Did I ever tell you the story about my great-great-grandfather and the alligator? If not, you should ask me about it sometime. Until then, you can sneak your drinks with this silver crocodile flask for only $19.95 from Target.
6. For the Wheel-of-Fortune-loving jet set, these glass-glitter-covered sheet metal letters ($6/ea. from Twine) would be a perfect addition to some New Year’s party decor. If you’re decorating budget doesn’t allow for more than the “H”, “A” and “P”, however, just steal some craft supplies from the nearest gradeschooler and glitter-glue your way to a DIY new year.
1. Forget those cheap plastic party hats — get a sparkly hair-do-dad that you’ll wanna wear again! ($35 from It’s Ok My Dear)
2. There’s more than one way to raise spirits with a votive holder. Set the holy candles aside and proceed with a flaming sambuca! ($15 for 2 from Twine)
3. You could ring in the new year by drinking your Dom Pérignon from crystal stemware. If you’re planning on doing that… you probably shouldn’t be reading this blog. But you are reading this blog, which is why I think you’ll appreciate a vintage set of champagne saucers ($35 from Vindima) for drinking your celebratory André.
4. If you’re in Chicago, you’ll need a festive coin purse ($25 from Sew Lola) because all public transit rides are a PENNY!
5. Soggy cardboard party blower? I’ll pass. Vintage plastic “tooter” for really blasting some eardrums? Absolutely. ($8 from 5 and Dime Memories)
6. And finally, here’s a sweet little journal for only $8 (from Cutiepie Company) for writing down all those resolutions you won’t keep.